Business Property & Listing Information

Business personal property includes machinery, computer/office equipment, airplanes, unlicensed vehicles, leasehold improvements, leased equipment, supplies, furniture, fixtures, farm equipment, etc. which are used for a business. Listings must be submitted during the month of January to avoid a 10% late listing penalty. However, an extension can be granted until March 15, if the request is made in writing and is postmarked or hand delivered to the Tax Department by January 31st or if January 31st falls on a weekend the first business day following the 31st. Business property statements are mailed to all businesses who listed the previous year or for anyone who has requested a form. Any taxpayer doing business as of January 1 of the current listing year is required to list. If you have business personal property, and did not receive a listing form, please call the Info Center at (910) 798-7300 and request a form be mailed to you.

 

*Note: Effective January 1, 2014, IRP plated vehicles are required to be listed with the local county tax office as part of the business listing.

The blank box on the first page of the business property abstract is for name and mailing address of the business.

Download Business Listing & Instructions

Every operator of a business or individual furnishing a taxable accommodation in New Hanover County such as a hotel, motel, inn, room rental, tourist camp or other such short term rental, is subject to charging a Room Occupancy Tax in accordance with North Carolina General Statute §153A-155 and §160A-215. Below are the applicable rates by jurisdiction:

Jurisdiction Effective Date Rate
New Hanover County September 1, 2006 6%
City of Wilmington March 1, 2003 6%
Town of Wrightsville Beach February 1, 2003​​ 6%
Town of Carolina Beach February 2, 2003 6%
Town of Kure Beach July 1, 2004 6%
Wilmington Convention Center District​ September 1, 2006 6%

New Hanover County
The first 3% collected will be distributed with 60% for beach nourishment. The remaining 40% is to be used by the TDA to promote travel and tourism throughout New Hanover County. These funds shall not be used to plan, construct, operate, maintain, or in any way promote a civic center, convention center, public auditorium or like facility. The additional 3% collected in the unincorporated area will be distributed for beach renourishment.

Wilmington Convention Center District
The entire 6% collected is now distributed to the Convention Center.
City of Wilmington: (outside the Convention Center District)
The first 3% collected will be distributed at 60% for beach nourishment and the remaining 40% is to be used by the TDA to promote travel and tourism throughout New Hanover County. These funds shall not be used to plan, construct, operate, or maintain a civic center, convention center public auditorium or like facility. The additional 3% collected will be used exclusively for the convention center.

Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Kure Beach
The first 3% collected will be distributed at 60% for beach nourishment and the remaining 40% is to be used by the TDA to promote travel and tourism throughout New Hanover County and shall not be used to plan, construct, operate, maintain or in any way promote a civic center, convention center, public auditorium or like facility. The additional 3% collected in each individual beach community is dedicated to establishing two funds each to be used exclusively for that beach; at least one-half of the tax collected is to be used to promote travel and tourism and the other fund is for TDA approved tourism related expenditures that are designed to increase the use of lodging facilities, meeting facilities or convention facilities or to attract tourists or business travelers to the area and includes tourism-related capital expenditures as approved by the TDA Board of Directors.

All hotels, motels, inns, short term rental cottages or houses, tourist camps or any other such short term rental accommodations must report their monthly sales using the Room Occupancy Tax Report Form. Reports must be submitted to the Tax Department by the 15th day after the reporting month. Reports which are not submitted in a timely fashion are subject to civil and criminal penalties. Forms are available by contacting the Tax Department at (910) 798-7113.

Click here for more info

Tax: 230 Government Center Drive, Suite 190 • Wilmington, NC 28403 • Phone 910-798-7300 • Fax 910-798-7310 • Email taxadmin@nhcgov.com